The School was built in 1897 and was opened in 1898 and was called Upper Forest Springs Provincial School. A large number of pupils passed through the school until it closed in 1961. We arranged an Upper Forest Springs Reunion and we were quite pleasently supprised at the result, with past pupils and descendants of early pupils who attended the school comming along and making the occasion a great success, one that will be a great talking point for years to come.
The Upper Forest Springs district was settled in the late 1800's after Goomburra Station was broken up for settlement.The early settlers had a mamoth task ahead of them, building homes for themselves and their families, clearing land to grow crops for food for themselves as well as their livestock. These settlers endured many hardships. It was heavily timbered land and clearing was done with axe and crosscut saw,many hours were spent clearing the land.These people had tremendous courage and little or no money and no produce from their land until it was prepared and planted. It is hard for many of us to imagine what these settlers went through just to have a portion of land to be able to support themselves ,something they could call their own, "The Great Australian Dream".
Contact us on our website....www.upperforestspringsreunion.websyte.com.au....
When the Reunion was over we decided to become part of the Allora and District Historical Society in order to have our history preserved along with others for generations to come and study if they wish.
This will take you to their site,
Website:: Allora & District Historical Socciety Inc